Every parent thinks their kid is advanced ( well, at least the ones I've met ). I am no exception. I remember seeing blogs of my friends who already had children, posting videos of the kids barely crawling or just learning to walk. I would think to myself..." wow, those must be some proud parents, that kid isn't even walking yet" But, now, I realize it was in the "trying" that was captured. I am now just like them... so enamored with each new thing Kate tries and does. It's simply the joy of parenthood.

There are so many things no one ever told me about what it would feel like to be a parent.
Here is my journaled list thus far.
No one told me that:
1. I'd go to bed each night wishing I had just a little more time with Kate, even though I was with her all day!
2. That I'd hate her nap times because I'd much rather her be awake.
3. That every morning is like Christmas morning when you get your child out of her crib and kiss her warm soft cheek.
4. That the sound of our baby's laughter makes our heart melt, we've decided it's the best sound we've ever heard.
5. That you witness a miracle every day as you watch them grow and accomplish new things.
6. How much closer to the heart of God one feels with a child.
7. How the work doesn't feel like work because you're so enraptured, enamored, and smitten with this little being.
8. How proud you feel of them when they achieve even the smallest accomplishment.
9.What abundance of joy comes from being needed, and how much you change as a person after feeling that deep responsibility.
10. How her joyful heart can lift my spirits so quickly.
11. Ho strong you become, yet how much less some strengths you thought you had now mean to you.
12. How much less judgmental you become towards other moms (and families)!!
13. How protective you become as a parent.
14. How cutting food into bite sized pieces in meal size portions 3 times a day makes you more patient, especially if your meal is cold when you finally get to it.
15. Lastly, no one told me what a step of faith having children is! You become so weak and vulnerable and utterly and desperately dependent upon the Lord like never before. Yet, he carries you day to day.
Here are some videos of our little funny bird learning to mimic animal sounds, point to her body parts, swim, knock on doors, and show you her favorite toy to whom she lovingly refers to as "Melmo".
1 comment:
Abby! I am so glad you gave me the link to your blog! I loved this post. :) Kate is so darling and I loved your list. It is all so true, made me cry a little.
Post a Comment