Wednesday, February 23

If I coulda I woulda

If I could've video taped what I saw today at my girl's naptime, I would have....

Kate had emptied one of the stuffed animal baskets, one by one, into Savannah's crib, to SJ's squealing delight! She was thrilled to have this massive rain of soft animals pour upon her...

but if you know us well, you know that we take discipline very seriously in this home, because the Lord does as well. We want our girls to know that we keep our word. Unfortunately for Kate, I had already told her to take a nap, and this, was not napping.

Parenting really is the rigorous training of oneself to follow through. Yes, you do train your children, but HA!! It is the self discipline, day to day, that astounds me. You mean, I actually have to get up off my dufff and reinforce my words...?? Yes, or my children will not respect me.

And oh, the facets of that discipline. I was sad that Kate had disobeyed, but I found the fact that they were amusing one another very amusing indeed, to myself. "Lord, how do I handle this one?" I uttered, before I went for the wooden spoon. I mean, they are playing together, I rationalized. But, alas, they were not napping.

After I got over the "cuteness" of their newfound friendly play...I thought, naptime could become a difficulty if I don't nip this in the bud. So nip I did.

Now...silence.

God doesn't take our disobedience lightly either. If He did, then we would not respect His authority over our lives. He deals with sin and yet, He offers grace. I am so glad we have the perfect parent to look to in uncertainty. Amen??

4 comments:

tgrammy said...

Yes, parenting certainly does have it's defining moments....huh? Do I enforce, or do I let my words do the enforcing? It's not always easy, that's for sure! Love your thoughts, and boy does it come back to me those days of rearing three! LOVE YOU

HomespunHeidi said...

yes and amen. Preach it preacher! LY

HomespunHeidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

Amen. I love you, and I'm so proud of you as a Mommy!