Monday, September 15

A Word and A Book Series

Yesterday I was looking through my bible and found this. Thought I'd type it up real quick to pass on to you:

"For a long time, whenever my life was just about to really get rolling, I'd hit another bump and have to put everything on hold for awhile until I got "that" straightened out. "Real life" was always alluding me like a desert mirage. Most of the time the faster I'd pursue it the further away it would be. My life was full of obstacles, something to be gotten through or over, some unfinished business, obligations still needing to be served, debts to be paid. "But...(I would say) as soon as that's over, life will begin."


Then, about the time I hit mid-life crisis, it suddenly dawned on me that all the stuff I was trying to get through or over so I could start my "real life" was, in fact, my "real life." It also began to dawn on me that maturity doesn't come with age; it comes with responsibility. All the "bumps: in my life were actually gifts from God. The accrual of life's duties and responsibilities were part of His plan to turn a little boy into a man.


If I had to do it again I think I'd start by striving to make work a pleasure and understand, for the sake of my physical, spiritual, and emotional health, that I should be satisfied it if was enough to support my needs. I would have asked God more for strength to battle life's difficulties, instead of depending so much on my own resources. I would seek more grace to confess my sins and forsake them. I would ask for more patience to work until some good was accomplished in order to bring glory to my Savior. I would ask for more love to move moe to be helpful to others and to always try to see some good in everyone. I would seek stronger faith to make the things of God more realistic in my life. I would trust Him more and thus remove much of the anxiety caused by concern for the future.


And I would seek from God the wisdom to maintain all these things in balance. I think that's the real trick."


"Circumcise then your heart, and stiffen your neck not more."
Deuteronomy 10:16


Jim Riggs
(Men's bible study member Michael attended)


Also, I would like to recommend to you today these books by Lynn Austin. Gods and Kings, The Song of Redemption, and The Strength of His Hand.
Awesome- historical Christian fiction....

I think there are even 2 more that go with this series!! I can't wait!

(P.S. They are borderline as good as the Francine Trilogy...) Tell me what you think....

4 comments:

Kate said...

oooh! how exciting! i absolutely loved the mark of the lion series! i'm glad that there is something out there along the same lines... i can't wait to pick them up. thanks for the recommendation!

Tracy said...

I have the first book from the Mark of the Lion series sitting on my bedside table, but haven't gotten into it yet...

Anonymous said...

Ummm, did you just say borderline as good as the Mark of the Lion Trilogy? Sacriledge!!! Ha ha just kidding. I can't wait to check them out. I wrote them down on a note in my purse so that I can accidentally happen by McKays and accidentally pick them up. That's all I need: another book to read. Thanks for the devotion. You rock.

Anonymous said...

Okay, oh my gosh Abby. I just saw this on your website: Hot Links but not Hot Dogs. Really? You wrote that didn't you? You know that it would make me laugh out loud didn't you? Seriously...