Friday, September 5

Meet Mabel




This is my grandmother Mabel, my father's mother, who died before I was born. Even though I never got a chance to meet her, I have heard about her from my dad all my life. Until now, my mom and dad didn't have any very good pictures of her...and last Sunday, someone at my their church randomly gave them this photo they had found. My parents are so thrilled to finally have such a nice picture of this lady.





See the similarity?? I think my dad looks so much like her. His eyes and her eyes are shaped so similarly and they are both so peaceful looking. Even his nose has the same shape. It is so cool to have this picture! It makes me wonder what she was like even more....

Ok and now that I am really looking at it, Shelley definitely has her lips! I even think her nose is sort of similar too...wow, it's really neat to see how the genes get passed down.





Well, I must say, while on the topic of my grandmother that I am so thankful God brought my grandma Wanda into my grandpa's life. They married just before I was born (right mom?) and she has been every bit of a grandmother to me...in fact, it took a long time for me to understand she wasn't my grandmother by blood! She is wonderfully sweet lady....I miss you grandma, I hope you read my blog sometimes...



This morning, while on a walk before work, this man came up to me and said in a direct voice, "You expecting?" I smiled and said, "yes". He said very authoritatively, "The Lord bless you and your child" and walked away. It was very cool! Thank you Lord for the blessing...I know you are with us, keeping us both in your hands.



Last night we had our hospital tour. It was so fun! While we were there a lullaby was played, and that means a baby was born! We got to see several newborns and we were squeezing each others hands as we took it all in. It just made everything feel a bit more real (and scary!!) but exciting too. Kate will be here before we know it!

And for today's funny....




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seriously... this has been my favorite entry so far. I almost cried looking at the pictures of Grandma Mabel and Daddy and reading about Grandma Long. You are so special, Abby, and so good at including us in the special sentimental details of your far-away life. I love you so much. You are so special to me, not just my sister, but my friend in whom I delight. I cannot wait to meet Kate, but I have been absolutely honored to be a part of the story so far... I love you always, Abby Leigh Long Nose Snork Clark
Love,
~ Shelley

michael and abby said...

HEY NOW!! Don't go sportin' my nickname on our blog! You are fined a $5 fee for use of internal information.... ha ha!!
I loved your comment... you are special to me, and you are going to make me cry!!
Yes, I am trying SO hard to keep you and the fam. (and friends) up to date with what is happening here because it seems like something new is always going on!
Thank you for being so happy about our daughter...you are going to be the best auntie ever!!

Tracy said...

Thanks, Shelly, for the special insider nickname! I think Abby Leigh Long Nose Snort Clark is an awesome lady, too! ;)

Abby, I love that you have that pic of Mabel!

And the funny...well, it was funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Abby, that is so cool how you put the picture of me next to her, too. I think the comment should be made, however, that I do have something in my mouth in that picture, and my mouth is not always shaped like that. Very cool!

michael and abby said...

no...I didn't add anything about you eating in that pic because really, you do have those lips!


and Tracy...I will explain the name later =) in private. ha ha
no, it's really not that private.

Ok the name comes from dear ol' dad. I used to watch the Snorks all the time as a kid! Thus, my maiden name is Long and Abby Leigh Long Nose Snork (cause the snorks have long noses).

I am going on google now to find an image of the snorks...you guys have inspired me....and I need a break.