Tuesday, November 9

Life as we know it

Today is MOPS...my favorite day of the week. It's a mini conference...with a pot luck breakfast, a speaker, a CRAFT (to beat all) and an hour of social time with my other mom friends. That, my people, is money. I love it!

But to get there, I must wake, shower, and get 2 kiddos fed and dressed and out the door with extra clothes, diapers, snacks, and all my other MOPS gear by 8:15, and of course, it's a challenge.

Today, it's worth mentioning that Kate found and proceeded to experiment with my mascara.

Doesn't she look nice? She was saying, "pretty".
And of course, it has to be on a MOPS morning!!
As I was on the way to MOPS I happened to catch a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror, drinking out of a sippy cup. What was the fellow onlooker to think of this lady and her sippy cup? Typical mother.

Well, here is what I came up with at the craft store yesterday.



Some beautiful vintage fabric strips.



I wanted to make a table cloth with some tea towels that my great grandmother embroidered. (Is that right, mom? And don't freak out that I cut them...it's for a good cause =)


Here we are piecing them together...
Which is virtually impossible with a curious 2 year old that loves to "help mommy".


Here is what we came out with- I've yet to create the border but the top is not too bad- for my first time.

Here is an up close shot... the tea towels are out of real flower sacks...with the name printed on them. I wanted to retain that little detail so I made 2 squares with the print on them.


I like the vintage look, and it's esp. neat because it's a family heirloom. Somehow, I feel closer to my roots when I am handling the same fabric that my family of old touched. This quilt was inspired by Mrs Gail Steinmeyer and my Aunt Anita Henigman- 2 wonderful homemakers in my life who encourage me to create and enjoy the home....and of course my grandmother and mother who always treasure and selflessly hand down special family heirlooms to the younger generation.
Here is my dad's baby quilt on our wall that my other great grandmother made.






And afterwards, I uploaded recent pics of my cuties...

they can be found on the picture archive website.


Lastly, a video of my sweet Kate...
singing in the backseat while we are driving.
I happened to catch the last part of her song....




ain't she a peach?

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Yes yes yes! She IS a peach, and I'm glad to hear you still using southern phases so she'll know her heritage. Course I don't guess we could ever talk like Scott and Brad, eh? Abby, you fabrics are beautiful! I'm so inspired by your creativity. I can't wait to see all your CRAFTS in person. I love you sooooooooooooo much. Lil sis,
~Shelley

Dani said...

Everything is beautiful! Kate's singing is so sweet! I loved it. :)

Cam & J said...

she is TOO cute! Wish our kiddos could be playmates!

HomespunHeidi said...

Just wanted to let you know that if I had been drinking milk while catching up with your blog today, it would have come out of my nose! You are so funny, girl. Love to hear your "ramblings" and count them as dear as they bless my heart, and of course, I love your little beauties. I wanted to share another blog that I read for inspiration in my creation progress (because you mentioned the quilting and she reminds me of you). Enjoy the quilting! - me

http://sewfunbymonique.blogspot.com/